Commitment: Full-time for six months
Deadline: 10 March 2021
Summary: We are looking for a software developer experienced with Java backends and React web front ends. Your primary focus will be on maintaining and developing new features on a JHipster project that provides APIs for public Web and Android applications. Apply to join a young and growing team developing technology for human rights!
Horizontal is a nonprofit organization serving frontline defenders, activists and journalists through digital security and tool development. We empower grassroots communities to use technology effectively and to operate safe from surveillance, censorship and repression.
Working at Horizontal
Horizontal’s values drive both our collaboration with partners and our work internally. We believe in the power of group consensus in decision-making, and strive to ensure that all team members are heard and contribute to the success of the organization. Just as important as the success of projects is each team member learning, growing, and feeling fulfilled in their work.
We are a distributed team, with members located on different continents. Team members are free to work from wherever they want as long as they have a good enough connection to join our online meetings and collaborate effectively. While we make sure to respect each other’s boundaries and work/life balance, remote work requires some flexibility to accommodate different time zones.
We are a small team in a young and growing organization. We are intentional in how we develop our organizational culture and processes, and hope to recruit someone interested in being part of this journey and investing themselves for the medium to long-term.
As a community-centered organization, diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify needs, and design and implement solutions. As a result, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our programs and processes. Horizontal is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
- Develop new features and upgrade existing features on a JHipster-based application on the backend and its React-based back-office frontend web application.
- Participate in development tasks on a ReactJS-based web page, a client of a JHipster project’s APIs.
What we need (required qualifications):
- You have experience working on backend Spring Boot Java code with relational database stores.
- You are familiar with RESTful APIs.
- You have knowledge of modern authorization mechanisms, such as JSON Web Tokens.
- You are able to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements and plans for upgrades or rollouts.
- You are familiar with Git.
- You resonate with Horizontal’s values.
- You are flexible. We are a distributed team and remote work isn’t for everyone: it requires discipline and the ability to work independently, communicate daily over several different platforms, and be flexible to accommodate meetings across multiple time zones. You should also be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are naturally curious, willing to learn from others and to work collaboratively. We’re always striving to get better at what we do and learn new skills or tools, and are not scared to say “I don’t know, I’ll research it”.
What we would like (preferred qualifications):
- You have experience working with JHipster.
- You have experience working with ReactJS.
- You have some knowledge of Typescript.
- You have experience working on civic tech, human rights, internet freedom, social justice, or activism (not necessarily as a developer).
- You are fluent in a language other than English.
What we DON’T need:
- You don’t have to be completely fluent in written and spoken English. We just need you to understand and speak English well enough to ensure that we can work together effectively.
- You don’t need formal education. We are looking for skill and passion more so than degrees
Conditions and benefits
- Salary range: $2,000 to $5,000/month, based on location and experience.
- Remote: we are open to people based anywhere, however the successful candidate must have a strong understanding of US legal and administrative requirements for a non-profit.
- Flexible: make your own work schedule. As long as you can join Team meetings, work whenever you want.
If this sounds like you, follow this link to apply. Make sure to include:
- A cover letter
- Your CV
- A link to your portfolio
Women, People of Color, LGBTQ+, and disabled folks are highly encouraged to apply and self-identify in the application.