Commitment: Full-time or part-time at 70% time or above
Deadline: Application reviewed on a rolling basis
Summary: We are seeking a Head of Operations to help structure, build, and support our growing team and programs. This is primarily an internal-facing role to develop and sustain the people, operations, work plans, and budgets that enable us to build technology and provide support to vulnerable communities around the world. This is a leadership position to work in close partnership with the founder to shape organizational culture in line with our values.
Horizontal is a nonprofit organization serving frontline defenders, activists and journalists through digital security and tool development. We empower grassroots communities to use technology effectively and to operate safe from surveillance, censorship and repression.
Working at Horizontal
Horizontal’s values drive both our collaboration with partners and our work internally. We believe in the power of group consensus in decision-making, and strive to ensure that all team members are heard and contribute to the success of the organization. Just as important as the success of projects is each team member learning, growing, and feeling fulfilled in their work.
We are a distributed team, with members located on different continents. Team members are free to work from wherever they want as long as they have a good enough connection to join our online meetings and collaborate effectively. While we make sure to respect each other’s boundaries and work/life balance, remote work requires some flexibility to accommodate different time zones.
We are a small team of 6 full time staff, in a young and growing organization. We are intentional in how we develop our organizational culture and processes, and hope to recruit someone interested in being part of this journey and investing themselves for the medium to long-term.
As a community-centered organization, diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify needs, and design and implement solutions. As a result, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our programs and processes. Horizontal is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
We are seeking a Head of Operations to help structure, build, and support our growing team and programs. This is primarily an internal-facing role to develop and sustain the people, operations, work plans, and budgets that enable us to build technology and provide support to vulnerable communities around the world. This is a leadership position to work in close partnership with the founder to shape organizational culture in line with our values.
We are looking for someone who:
- Can provide strong leadership that delivers effective operations across the organization
- Is extremely detailed-oriented and process-focused
- Can build an organizational culture that is inclusive, participatory, and human- and justice-centered
We are open to either a full-time position or a part-time position at 70% time or above.
- Develop robust workflows, policies, and procedures for all operational and administrative systems, in line with our values.
- Ensure the financial integrity of the organisation, including by processing expense reports, paying bills, supporting basic bookkeeping, reconciling bank accounts and managing organizational cash flow.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local labor laws.
- Manage the online tools and software we use daily to communicate, collaborate, and manage projects.
- People’s operations:
- Create an engaging and supportive work environment, where team members feel valued and connected to one another.
- Plan and facilitate team meetings, retreats, and team-building activities.
- Manage staff and contractor hiring, onboarding, compensation, and retention
- Develop an organizational culture that reflects Horizontal’s values
- Ensure that projects are well on track, follow timelines and roadmaps
- Oversee the narrative and financial reporting for all grants and contracts, and ensure financial due diligence and compliance
- Provide ad-hoc support to projects
- Support the Head of Programs on writing grant proposals and identifying new opportunities
- Board management
- Communicate with board members to keep them informed of organizational development and upcoming meetings.
- Prepare and run quarterly board meetings, including setting the agenda, facilitating the meeting, and taking notes.
- Work to expand the board
What we need (required qualifications):
- You resonate with Horizontal’s values.
- You have a commitment to and passion for equity, justice, and human rights.
- You are flexible. We are a distributed team and remote work isn’t for everyone: it requires discipline and the ability to work independently, communicate daily over several different platforms, and be flexible to accommodate meetings across multiple time zones.
- You are tech savvy. Having an interest in, and natural ease with, technology is critical to manage our day-to-day operations and to understand our programs.
- You have strong people skills. You are an effective communicator and great listener.
- You have excellent organizational and prioritization skills, you pay close attention to detail in all your work.
- You are proactive and independent. You are always looking for new ways to improve processes and you are able to take charge of driving change.
- You are fluent in English and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You have a minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in operations or project management.
- You have experience with budget development and oversight.
- You are a fast learner, able to steer the adoption of new processes, practices, and tools.
What we would like (preferred qualifications):
- You have experience with operations and finances in a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
- You have experience working with government funding and due diligence.
- You have experience with organizational design and collaborative leadership models.
- You have experience with choosing and customizing digital platforms and tools.
- You have worked with collaborative and distributed teams.
- You have experience in nonviolent communication, conflict resolution, and facilitation.
- You are fluent in a language other than English.
- You have experience working on civic tech, human rights, internet freedom, social justice, or activism (not necessarily in an operational capacity).
What we DON’T need:
- You don’t need formal education. We are looking for skill and passion more so than degrees.
Conditions and benefits
- Salary range: $40,000 to $60,000 for full-time work, based on location and experience.
- Remote: we are open to people based anywhere, however the successful candidate must have a strong understanding of US legal and administrative requirements for a non-profit.
- Flexible: make your own work schedule. As long as you can join Team meetings, work whenever you want.
- Unlimited personal days (for personal medical needs, family care, or bereavement).
- Public holidays from your country of residence and cultural holidays you observe.
- Five weeks paid leave.
- We are eager to provide opportunities for salary increases and additional benefits as the organization develops.
If this sounds like you, follow this link to apply.
Women, People of Color, LGBTQ+, and disabled folks are highly encouraged to apply and self-identify in the application.
The selection process takes place on a rolling basis, meaning that we review applications as they come in. The process includes the following steps:
- Review of application documents
- One-on-one interview with the Executive Director
- Interview with a board member
- Team interview
- Three-month trial period