Horizontal is a nonprofit organization serving frontline defenders, activists and journalists through digital security and tool development. We empower grassroots communities to use technology effectively and to operate safely from surveillance, censorship and repression.
Horizontal’s values drive both our collaboration with partners and our work internally. We believe in the power of group consensus in decision-making, and strive to ensure that all team members are heard and contribute to the success of the organization. Just as important as the success of projects is each team member learning, growing, and feeling fulfilled in their work.
We are a distributed team, with members located on different continents. Team members are free to work from wherever they want as long as they have a good enough connection to join our online meetings and collaborate effectively. While we make sure to respect each other’s boundaries and work/life balance, remote work requires some flexibility to accommodate different time zones.
We are a small team in a young and growing organization. We are intentional in how we develop our organizational culture and processes, and hope to recruit someone interested in being part of this journey and investing themselves for the medium to long-term.
As a community-centered organization, diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify needs, and design and implement solutions. As a result, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our programs and processes. Horizontal is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Women, People of Color, LGBTQ+, and disabled folks are highly encouraged to apply and self-identify in the application.
- Develop robust workflows, policies, and procedures for all operational and administrative systems, in line with our values.
- Ensure the financial integrity of the organization, including by processing expense reports, paying bills, supporting basic bookkeeping, reconciling bank accounts and managing organizational cash flow.
- Ensure compliance with US federal, state and local labor laws.
- Manage the online tools and software we use daily to communicate, collaborate, and manage projects.
- Create an engaging and supportive work environment, where team members feel valued and connected to one another.
- Plan and facilitate team meetings, retreats, and team-building activities.
- Manage staff and contractor hiring, onboarding, compensation, and retention.
- Develop an organizational culture that reflects Horizontal’s values.
- Ensure that projects are well on track, follow timelines and roadmaps.
- Oversee the narrative and financial reporting for all grants and contracts, and ensure financial due diligence and compliance.
- Provide ad-hoc support to projects.
- Support the Programs Lead on writing grant proposals and identifying new opportunities.
- Communicate with members of the board of directors to keep them informed of organizational development and upcoming meetings.
- Prepare and run quarterly board meetings, including setting the agenda, facilitating the meeting, and taking notes.
- Work to expand the board of directors.
What we need (required qualifications):
- You resonate with Horizontal’s values.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in operations.
- You have a commitment to and passion for equity, justice, and human rights.
- You are flexible. We are a distributed team and remote work isn’t for everyone: it requires discipline and the ability to work independently, communicate daily over several different platforms, and be flexible to accommodate meetings across multiple time zones. You should also be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are tech savvy. Having an interest in, and natural ease with, technology is critical to manage our day-to-day operations and to understand our programs.
- You have strong people skills. You are an effective communicator and great listener.
- You have excellent organizational and prioritization skills, you pay close attention to detail in all your work.
- You are proactive and independent. You are always looking for new ways to improve processes.
- You are fluent in English and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You have experience with budget development and oversight.
- You are a fast learner, able to steer the adoption of new processes, practices, and tools.
What we would like (preferred qualifications):
- You have experience with operations and finances in a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
- You have experience working with government funding and due diligence.
- You have experience with organizational design and collaborative leadership models.
- You have experience with choosing and customizing digital/software platforms and tools.
- You have worked with collaborative and distributed teams.
- You have experience in nonviolent communication, conflict resolution, and facilitation.
- You are fluent in a language other than English.
- You have experience working on civic tech, human rights, internet freedom, social justice, or activism (not necessarily in an operational capacity).
What we DON'T need:
- You don’t need formal education. We are looking for skill and passion more so than degrees.
if this sound like you, click the button below to apply and make sure to include:
- a CV
- explanations on why you want to work at Horizontal and why you are qualified for the position